Christy Gamache

Monday, March 06, 2006

Hina Matsuri

March the 3rd is "Hina Matsuri" or "Girls' Day" or the "Doll Festival". As I learned at my Japanese lesson last week, on March 3rd Hina dolls are displayed to wish girls happiness and well-being. This Japanese tradition began 1000 years ago. Usually, dolls are displayed on large tiered platforms. On the top tier are the emperor and empress. On the next tier are the three court maids, and on the next tier is the court quintet. Families celebrate by eating "chirashi-zushi" (unrolled sushi), sakura-mochi (bean paste-filled rice cakes with cherry leaves), hishi-mochi (diamond shaped rice cakes), and hina-arare (rice puffs), as well as drinking shiro-zake (or rice malt sake).
I got to celebrate the occasion in a few different ways. At my Japanese lesson I was treated to a feast of most of the above-mentioned delicacies! Also, Imakawa-sensei sent me home with more goodies to eat later. Another of my friends gave me a miniature doll display, and a woman in my English conversation classes brought a big bouquet of beautiful flowers for all of us girls to enjoy at English class!
Here are a couple of pictures to share some of the tradition with you...


Two of my Junior High students with the large Hina doll display at school.

















Left: My mini Hina Doll display, made by Fukuda-san. Very cute!
Right: The treats sent home with me by Imakawa-sensei

1 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the doll festival was on the day i got to japan when i was 13... weird... i love traditions :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home